Rezoning Application – Interim Hotel Development Policy and Related Amendments to the Downtown Official Development Plan
The City of Vancouver is proposing to amend the Downtown Official Development Plan (DODP) to consider hotel as a conditionally permitted land use in two areas of Downtown South (areas ‘N’ and ‘L1’), excluding sites zoned Comprehensive Development District (CD-1).
The associated Interim Hotel Development Policy is proposed to be used in the evaluation of enquiries and applications for the development of new hotels, the expansion of hotels and the demolition of existing hotels. The intention is to moderate the loss of hotel rooms and encourage new hotels while limiting impacts to existing housing.
The proposed policy, if approved, would apply citywide to:
- Provide supportive rationale for the consideration of hotel use as part of a rezoning.
- Place protection on residential conversions to hotel use, requiring 100% of strata owners to agree to a conversion to hotel use where zoning permits it.
- Aim to produce no net loss in the city’s hotel room stock until the Broadway Plan and City Core 2050 are completed, when new targets will be brought forward to Council for consideration.
The proposed by-law changes, if approved, would amend the DODP for area ‘N’ to:
- Add hotel as a permitted use in the area up to the 5.0 FSR conditionally permitted in the area;
- Add additional ground-floor retail, retail-commercial, and service uses permitted when ancillary to a hotel;
- Add a provision for existing hotels developed above the current 5.0 FSR density cap to be a permitted use (instead of a grandfathered use) in order to simplify structural alterations.
The proposed by-law changes, if approved, would amend the DODP for area ‘L1’ to:
- Add hotel and associated service uses as a permitted use in the area up to the 1.0 non-residential FSR conditionally permitted in the area;
- Add additional ground-floor retail, retail-commercial, and service uses permitted when ancillary to a hotel.
A community open house was be held on Monday, April 30, 2018 from 4 - 7 pm at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 1110 Howe Street, Georgia Room regarding the DODP amendments to Area ‘N’.
This application has been approved by Council at Public Hearing on July 31, 2018.
Advisory Group and Community Open House Meetings
- Regular Council Meeting: July 10, 2018
- Public Hearing: July 31, 2018
- Summary and Recommendation
- Draft By-law - Zoning and Development (Downtown Official Development Plan)
- Memo to Council
- Metro Core Jobs and Economy Land Use Plan
- Downtown Official Development Plan
- Staff Report: City Core 2050 and Related Planning Programs
City Contact: Jared Dalziel, Planning Analyst, firstname.lastname@example.org, 604-829-9268