Rezoning Application - 728-796 Main Street
The City of Vancouver has received an application to rezone 728 - 796 Main Street from HA-1A (Chinatown Historic Area) District to a CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District to allow for a 15-storey mixed-use development that includes:
- commercial space on the ground level and mezzanine;
- 19 social housing units, located on mezzanine and second levels, to replace existing Single Room Accommodation (SRA) units on site (social housing to be owned by the City);
- 99 market residential units from levels 3 to 15; and
- four levels of underground parking.
A building height of 45.7 m (150 ft.) and a floor space ratio (FSR) of 8.12 are proposed.
The application is made under the Rezoning Policy for Chinatown South (HA-1A).
A community open house was held on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 from 5-8pm, at the Chinese Cultural Centre, Auditorium (50 East Pender Street), with City staff and the applicant team available to answer questions.
At the Urban Design Panel meeting on October 2, the Panel reviewed the proposal and suggested resubmission. The applicant has responded by putting the rezoning application on hold while studying their design options. Staff will update this website when there is additional information available.
You can provide comments by filling out our online feedback form.
Application (May 1, 2017)
- Project Statistics (214kb)
- Context Plan (414kb)
- Shadow Study (287kb)
- Design Strategy (1.46mb)
- Floor Plans (1.98mb)
- Roof and Parking Plans (337kb)
- Sections (89kb)
- Elevations (276kb)
- Streetscape (929kb)
- Massing (225kb)
- Landscape Plan (2.12mb)
Advisory Group and Community Open House Meetings
- Community Open House - September 26, 2017
- Urban Design Panel: October 2 , 2017 - Resubmission Recommended
- Chinatown Historic Area Planning Committee: Unscheduled
- Rezoning Policy for Chinatown South (HA-1A)
- Single Room Accommodation By-law
- HA-1A District Schedule and Chinatown HA-1A Guidelines
- Downtown Eastside Local Area Plan
- Chinatown Neighbourhood Plan
- Community Amenity Contribution - Through Rezonings
- Green Building Policy for Rezonings
- Vancouver Neighbourhood Energy Strategy
To view additional studies and plans, please make an appointment with the rezoning planner.
City Contact: Thien Phan, Rezoning Planner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 604.871.6383
Applicant Contact: Tomas Wolf, Studio One Architecture Inc., Tomas@studioonearchitecture.ca, 604-731-3966 ex 102
To receive updates about the Downtown Eastside Plan, including information about rezoning applications, please visit vancouver.ca/dtes and provide your contact information in the box titled, “Get updates”.