Rezoning Application - 420 Hawks Avenue
The City of Vancouver has received an application to rezone 420 Hawks Avenue from M-1 (Industrial) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District.
The revised proposal is for a 7-storey social housing building with a superstructure to be constructed using shipping containers. The proposal has been changed in response to community feedback to include:
- 14 two-bedroom units and 7 micro-dwelling units;
- a building height of 21.9 m (72 ft.);
- a floor space ratio (FSR) of 4.42.
- 41 bicycle parking spaces and 0 vehicle parking spaces.
Key changes from the previous submission (dated November 27, 2014) include:
- A reduction in the number of units from 26 to 21;
- More family housing, with 14 two-bedroom units and 7 micro-dwelling units;
- An expanded amenity space at street level, proposed to be accessible to the community; and
- A reduction in the overall floor space ratio (FSR) from 4.70 to 4.42.
The application is being considered under the Downtown Eastside Local Area Plan.
A community open house was held on Monday, March 2, 2015, at the Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 805 East Pender Street with the applicant team and City Staff available to answer questions.
This application has been approved by Council at Public Hearing on May 17, 2016. The conditions having been met, Council enacted By-law No. 12762, CD-1 (749), on September 15, 2020.
Application (October 23, 2015)
- Project Data (1.01mb)
- Building Rendering (1.01mb)
- Context Plan (3.1mb)
- Site Plan and Roof Plans (192kb)
- Floor Plans (358kb)
- Building Elevations (1.38mb)
- Building Sections (355mb)
- View from SW Quadrant of MacLean Park (2.01mb)
- Shadow Studies (2.04mb)
- Landscape Plans (1.12mb)
- Streetviews (3.18mb)
- Supplementary material (1.84mb)
- Design Rationale (984kb) (Updated January 2016)
Application (November 27, 2014)
- Project Data and Site Context (658kb)
- Context Plan (3.1mb)
- Site Plan, Floor and Roof Plans (351kb)
- Building Elevations (1.29mb)
- Building Sections (580kb)
- Shadow Studies (323kb)
- Landscape Plans (1.11mb)
- Streetscape (1.57kb)
- Supplementary material
- Notice of Public Hearing (165kb)
- Notice of Revised Rezoning - November 2015 (491kb)
- Invitation to a Community Open House - February 2015 (197kb)
- Notice of Cancellation of Open House - January 2015 (197kb)
- Notice of Rezoning and Open House - December 2014 (282kb)
Advisory Groups and Community Meetings
- Public Hearing: May 17, 2016
- Regular Council Meeting: April 19, 2016
- Urban Design Panel: March 11, 2015 - Evaluation: Support (6-0)
- Community Open House: March 2, 2015 - Display Boards (1.5mb)
- Community Open House: January 26, 2015 - Cancelled and rescheduled
- M-1 (Industrial) District Schedule (99kb)
- Industrial Lands Policies (212kb)
- Downtown Eastside Local Area Plan (7 MB)
- Rezoning Policy for the Downtown Eastside (490 KB)
- Downtown Eastside Housing Plan (3.34mb)
- Green Buildings Policy for Rezonings (198kb)
To view additional plans please make an appointment with the rezoning planner.
City Contact: Linda Gillan, Rezoning Planner, email@example.com, 604.673.8281
Applicant Contact: Janice Abbott, Atira Women's Resource Society (AWRS), 604.813.0851