Rezoning Application - 1920 Southwest Marine Drive (Casa Mia)
The City of Vancouver has received a new revised application to rezone 1920 Southwest Marine Drive from RS-1 (One-Family Dwelling) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District to allow development of a 90-bed Class B Seniors’ Community Care Facility.
This site was the subject of a similar rezoning proposal, submitted initially in 2013, which has now been withdrawn.
The proposal includes heritage preservation and reuse of the existing Casa Mia mansion, which is a Class A Heritage listed building, and development of a two-storey addition with basement and underground parking. A total of 90 beds for seniors complex care accommodation are proposed, including 58 publicly-funded beds and 32 private-pay beds.
The proposed floor space ratio (FSR) of the heritage building and addition is 0.93. The height of the existing heritage house is 14.2 m (46 ft.), and proposed addition is 8.0 m (26.5 ft.). 24 vehicle parking spaces, one Class B loading space, and one Class A passenger loading space are proposed.
The new design builds on the basic site planning and massing that was part of the previous application, and responds to design review from City of Vancouver staff and from Vancouver Coastal Health. Design changes from the previous application include revisions to comply with Building Code requirements and Vancouver Coastal Health design guidelines.
Significantly, this new revised application includes a partnership with Vancouver Coastal Health, which ensures that 58 of the 90 beds will be publicly funded.
A community open house was held from 5:00 - 8:00 PM on Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at Dr. R. E. McKechnie Elementary School, 7455 Maple Street with the applicant team and City staff available to answer questions.
This application has been approved by Council at Public Hearing on November 14, 2017.
Revised Application (April 7, 2017)
- Rezoning Rationale (319kb)
- Design Rationale (488kb)
- Site Plan (2.9mb)
- Overall Site Plan (445kb)
- Context Plan (796kb)
- Perspectives (1.7mb)
- Site Survey (3.9mb)
- Project Statistics (38kb)
- Base Point Diagram (28kb)
- Aerial Images (Existing) (1.0mb)
- Aerial Images (Proposed) (247kb)
- Elevations (Existing) (358kb)
- Elevations (Proposed) (536kb)
- Proposed Elevations (1.0mb)
- Basement Level Renovation (189kb)
- Level and Level 2 Renovation (734kb)
- Roof Plans (4.7mb)
- Setback Diagram (4.1mb)
- Shadow Study (592kb)
- Sections (2.1mb)
- Sustainability (4.3mb)
- Landscape Rationale (84kb)
- Landscape Plan (1.1mb)
- Shrub Plans (241kb)
- Arborist Report (6.0mb)
- Traffic Impact Study (4.4mb)
- Heritage Conservation Plan (13.0mb)
- Heritage Statement of Significance (4.4mb)
- Geotechnical Report (1.9mb)
- Engineering Review of Escarpment Impact (17mb)
- Engineering Opinion and Commitment (126kb)
- VCH Letter of Support (185kb)
- Regular Council Meeting: October 17, 2017
- Public Hearing: November 14, 2017
Advisory Group and Community Meetings
- Urban Design Panel: July 26, 2017 - Evaluation: Support with Recommendations
- Community Open House: June 6, 2017
WITHDRAWN: Revised Application (October 25, 2013)
Please note that the current rezoning application has been withdrawn by the applicant - Rezoning Withdraw Letter (464kb)
The City of Vancouver has received a revised application to rezone 1920 Southwest Marine Drive from RS-1 (One-Family Dwelling) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District to allow development of a 62-bed Community Care Facility - Class B. The proposal entails the retention, designation, and conversion of the existing 'Casa Mia' heritage building at its present height of 14.2 m (46.5 ft.) and development of a 2-storey addition with a basement and underground parking. Changes from the original proposal include:
- a decrease from 92 beds to 62 beds
- a decrease in building height of the addition from 11.1 m (36.4 ft.) to 9.3 m (30.5 ft.)
- a decrease in floor space ratio (FSR) from 0.93 to 0.70
- a decrease from 23 parking spaces to 16 parking spaces
A community open house was held from 5:00-8:00pm on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Ryerson United Church at 2195 West 45th Avenue with the applicant team and City staff available to answer questions.
Staff have considered comments on this application, provided by members of the public and advisory groups, and have provided written advice to the applicant, recommending that the application be revised.
At the February 18, 2014 Regular Council Meeting, Council referred this application to Public Hearing.
Please note that staff have removed Item #3, “1920 Southwest Marine Drive (Casa Mia)”, from the Public Hearing agenda on March 13, 2014. Staff and the applicant were unable to finalize the legal agreement securing heritage in time for the Public Hearing. A new date for the Public Hearing will be scheduled once the agreement is finalized.
- Project Data (67kb)
- Site Plan (2.15mb)
- Context Plan and Views (1.01mb)
- Parking and Terrace Plan (364kb)
- Floor Plans (5.54mb)
- Roof Plans (1.7mb)
- Site Section (1.73mb)
- Building Sections (3.85mb)
- East Elevation (2.86mb)
- North Elevation (1.9mb)
- West Elevation (1.82mb)
- LEED Features (360kb)
- Shadow Study (584 kb)
- Perspective Views (3.26mb)
- FSR Overlays (75kb)
- Tree and Landscape Plans (4.99mb)
- Traffic Study (6.09mb)
- Conservation Plan (3.9mb)
Application (January 29, 2013)
Stuart Howard Architects has applied to the City of Vancouver to rezone 1920 Southwest Marine Drive from RS-1 (One-Family Dwelling) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District to allow development of a 92 bed Community Care Facility - Class B. This proposal entails the retention, designation and conversion of the existing 'Casa Mia' heritage building and development of a 3-storey addition with underground parking and loading facilities.
The proposed floor space ratio (FSR) of the heritage building and proposed addition is 0.93. The height of the existing heritage house is 46.5 ft. (14.2 m) and a proposed 3-storey addition is 36.4 ft. (11.1 m). The following parking and loading spaces are proposed: 23 parking spaces, 1 Class B loading space, 1 Class A and 1 Class B Passenger loading space.
- Design Rationale (516kb)
- Intent Letter (483kb)
- Statistics (193kb)
- Context Plan (32mb)
- Existing Building Plans (4mb)
- Existing Building Photos (29mb)
- Site Plan (2.16kb)
- Parking Plan (356kb)
- Floor and Roof Plans (5.94mb)
- Building Elevation Drawings (3.15mb)
- Building Section Drawings (3.72mb)
- Streetscape Images (27.9kb)
- Shadow Analysis (2.09mb)
- Perspective Views (10.09mb)
- Landscaping Plans (158kb)
- Sustainability Goals (432kb)
- Applicant's Summary of Community Engagement (Prior to Application) (542kb)
- Geotechnical Letter (193kb)
- Geotechnical Report (1.96mb)
- Traffic Study (7mb)
- Heritage Statement of Significance (1.43mb)
- Conservation Plan (3mb)
- Business Plan (477kb)
- Notice of Public Hearing (128kb)
- *REVISED* Notice of Revised Rezoning Application and Open House (59kb)
- Notice of Revised Rezoning Application and Open House (59kb)
- Notice of Rezoning Application and Open House (156kb)
- City of Vancouver Staff Advice to Applicant (78kb)
- Public Hearing: March 13, 2014 - Withdrawn from Public Hearing
- Regular Council Meeting: February 18, 2014
Advisory Group and Community Meetings
- Urban Design Panel: December 18, 2013 - Evaluation: Support (6-3)
- Community Open House: December 4, 2013
Vancouver Heritage Commission: May 27, 2013 - Agenda
- Urban Design Panel: May 8, 2013 - Evaluation: Non-Support (2-6)
- Community Open House: April 22, 2013
- RS-1 District Schedule (356kb)
- Arbutus Ridge-Kerrisdale-Shaughnessy Community Vision Plan (94kb)
- Heritage Policies and Guidelines 56kb)
- Southlands Policies and Guidelines (356kb)
- Southlands Plan (36kb)
- Community Care Facility - Class B and Group Residence Guidelines (356kb)
To view additional plans please make an appointment with the rezoning planner.
City Contact: John Chapman, Rezoning Planner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 604-873-7458
Applicant Contact: Peter C Lang, IBI Architects, email@example.com, 604-683-8797